Junior Reserve Officers' Corps (JROTC). Beginning in the 22/23 school year, students from around the county will be able to apply for a seat in JROTC programs located at three of our county's high schools. As with the Magnet Programs, geographic zones will be created, and transportation will be provided. Further details regarding transportation will be provided closer to the beginning of the school year. JROTC programs will remain partial-day programs with students attending the JROTC school for periods 3 and 4. This schedule will allow them to remain members of the home school community while pursuing JROTC. Due to long-standing partnerships and the Board-approved Memorandum of Understanding with the Armed Forces, the JROTC schools will continue to consist of a 60% participation of students from the JROTC school, leaving 40% of the seats available through the application and potential lottery process.
Through partnerships with the United States Army (Meade HS), Marines (Northeast HS), and Navy (Annapolis HS), instructors from all three branches prepare students in grades 9–12 for leadership roles while making them aware of their rights, responsibilities, and privileges as American citizens through rigorous instruction and hands-on activities. Skills emphasized across all three branches are leadership, citizenship, physical fitness, and character.
JROTC prepares students for life and they are not under any obligation to join the military. However, if they choose to further their interest in the military, satisfactory completion of the JROTC program can lead to advanced placement credit in the Senior ROTC program (college level) or advanced rank in any of the Armed Forces. With the onset of the 2023-24 school year, AACPS is moving to a cluster structure for all three JROTC Leadership Programs (see below). Clusters have been created based on the home high school of student participants and will be supported with transportation. Parallel to the CAT Center concept of participation, the JROTC programs will remain partial-day programs with students attending the host site for periods 3 and 4 on an alternating day basis. This schedule will allow them to remain members of the home school community while pursuing JROTC.
If your home high school is • Annapolis • Broadneck • Crofton • South River • Southern, your JROTC Program is Navy JROTC at Annapolis High School. See the website for additional details. Navy JROTC Cluster Annapolis High School
If your home high school is • Arundel • Glen Burnie • Meade • North County, your JROTC Program is Army JROTC at Meade High School. See the website for additional details. Army JROTC Meade High School
If your home high school is • Chesapeake • Northeast • Old Mill • Severn Run • Severna Park, your JROTC Program is Marine JROTC at Northeast High School. See the website for additional details. Marine JROTC Cluster Northeast High School
To apply to JROTC, click on the APPLY NOW button on the main page of the Magnet website.