Children enrolling in Four-Year-Old Prekindergarten must be 4 years old on or by September 1. The first step for applying to our 4-Year-Old Prekindergarten is to complete the online application. After your application is reviewed, which could take several weeks, and you are offered a seat in the program, you will then need to submit these required documents:
- Proof of identification of the person submitting enrollment documentation (must be a parent or legal guardian)
- The student’s original birth certificate, birth registration or birth record
- A copy of the student’s immunization record
- Two proofs of residency (rental agreement or mortgage statement and a current utility bill)
- Custody order (if applicable)
Public Prekindergarten programs in Maryland are designed to improve the school readiness of children who meet the income guidelines, are homeless, have an active IEP, and speak a home language that is something other than English. All families applying for Prekindergarten must provide income verification by submitting one of the following for each adult in the household after they are offered a seat in the program:
- Federal Income Tax Return (1040 statement) along with documentation related to other sources of income such as child support and/or rental income.
- Notarized Letter of No Income
- Notarized Employment Letter
- Military Income
ONE OF THE FOLLOWING
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF)
- Temporary Cash Assistance (TCA)
- Documentation from the homeless liaison
- Migrant Youth
- Documentation from participation in Headstart / Early Headstart / Even Start
- In a residential childcare institution (ward of the state)
- Foster care
If seats remain, schools may enroll students with other readiness needs near the end of September.
For assistance in locating the school assigned to your attendance area, click on Locate Your School, then review the catchment zone document to determine the school you can apply to. If you are unable to locate your school in the locate your school link then contact the AACPS Planning Office at email@example.com.
Alternative Placement Request
Anne Arundel County Public Schools has developed a process and guidelines for 4-year-old Prekindergarten Alternative Placement requests which is separate from the Out-of-Area process used for Kindergarten through 12th grade. Parents or guardians may request an Alternative Placement for 4-year-old prekindergarten for the following reasons:
- The family is moving into the attendance area within 90 days; documentation is required.
- Student is the child of a full-time employee of the requested school.
- Daycare is outside of the designated attendance area.
The 4-year-old Prekindergarten Alternative Placement committee will review all applications and inform the family of the decision within 10 business days. Approved requests will be communicated to the receiving school.
Requests will be denied if the 4-year-old Prekindergarten class(es) are full or if the school is closed to out-of-area-students.
An Anne Arundel County parent or guardian may request 4-year-old Prekindergarten Alternative Placement by completing this form.
Information provided on the application must match the supporting documentation submitted to the school when offered a seat in the prekindergarten program. Students will not be enrolled in the prekindergarten program if this information does not match in accordance to Blueprint For Maryland's Future enrollment regulations.