Anne Arundel County School Health Services Program exists to preserve, protect and promote the health of school children. To that end, the school health nurse and health assistant’s activities are directed so each student develops his/her potential for physical, mental and emotional well-being.
The Health Room is staffed by:Ms. Joni Dorsey, RN Mrs. Thomasena Brown, Certified Nursing Assistant The Health Room is located on the 300 hallway in room 312. School Health Service Personnel are available to students during regular school hours. Services provided by School Health Services staff consist of (but are not limited to):
- First Aid administered per School Health Services First Aid Manual
- Management of illnesses that occur at school
- Medication administration – daily and as needed medications may be administered to students providing that the Parent’s Request to Administer Medication form has been properly filled out by the student’s parent or guardian and the student’s Primary Care Provider
- Collaboration with parents or guardians to aid students with mobility concerns (ex. fractures, crutches, etc.) to meet their mobility needs at school
- Collaboration with parents or guardians in the management of ongoing health needs of their student in the school setting (ex. post accident or surgery, blood glucose management, PE restrictions or special needs, chronic health concerns, life threatening allergies, etc.)
- Monitoring of communicable diseases and immunization records
- Health screening for vision, hearing
The Health Room has several rules to help ensure that minimal classroom disruption occurs and that student health needs are met in a timely and efficient fashion:
- All students need to have a pass prior to coming to the Health Room. This ensures that the classroom teacher is aware that the student will be missing instructional content and that the student’s whereabouts is accounted for during the school day.
- All students are expected to be quiet and courteous while in the Health Room.
- All other school rules apply to students in the Health Room.
- Student concerns will be triaged upon arrival to the Health Room with the goal of returning students to class as quickly as possible to continue with educational activities.
- Health Room dismissal: If their condition permits, students who are awaiting their parent or guardian arrival for dismissal from the Health Room may be returned to class until their adult arrives for them.
Dismissing students from the Health Room:
Ill or injured students may be dismissed directly from the Health Room to their parent or guardian. The parent or guardian, or a responsible adult whose name is on their emergency card needs to come to the Health Room to ‘sign out’ their student. All persons picking up students need to show picture identification.